In most cases, adding one set of tracking parameters (UTM or Custom) to URLs is sufficient. But some scenarios, say display ad campaigns, may require adding many combinations of UTM/custom parameters that are only slightly different from each other. For example, the display size could be different between URLs while everything else remains the same.
For simple cases, the Multi-tag URL builder can help create such combinations, but it does not support conventions. Grid Mode URL builder works with and without conventions. It can be used to generate URLs in bulk like a spreadsheet, but without its limitations.
Here’s how to use it.
1. Navigate to Grid Mode URL Builder
Select the Grid Mode URL Builder from the builder dropdown menu.
2. Select a Convention
Even though it’s possible to use the Grid Mode URL builder without any convention, we’ll go through an example using a convention.
Select one of the configured conventions in the convention dropdown.
The grid will reconfigure with the selected convention showing the relevant columns.
3. Grid Row and Data Types
The grid has one Control Row at the top. It’s a special purpose row that helps populate the remaining rows.
Based on your settings, a column can have one of the following types:
- Free Text – Can set any value within the constraints applicable for that column
- Option – Select one or more values from a pre-populated dropdown. If allowed, can create new values
- Date – Use a calendar to select a date
- Constant – A fixed value that cannot be modified.
- Parent – Select from a dropdown which is hide/show other columns/fields as configured in a convention. These can only be modified in the Control Row.
- Generated – Values that are generated based on other columns as configured in a convention. These cannot be directly modified.
It’s possible to update a modifiable cell by
- Double clicking on the cell
- Single clicking on the icon in the cell
4. Populate the grid
a. Manual editing
You can edit each cell directly in a regular row and type or select the values. If needed, you can Add row or Delete Rows. If there are any Parent fields, they need to be selected in the Control Row.
Once done, click Save.
b. Generating combinations
It’s possible to use the Control Row to generate different combinations of values in the various columns. In the Control Row, some Free Text and Option fields can be used to specify multiple values.
Specify multiple values for a Free Text column.
Select multiple values for an Option column.
Once done, this is how the Control Row might look like
Click Generate button
This will generate all possible combinations and populate the grid.
5. Save the URLs and tracking codes
Once the grid is populated, make sure that all the required values are filled. You may not be able to save if something is missing. Once you have verified the data, click Save.
NOTE: Due to performance reasons, only limited number (120) of URLs can be created.